Friday, September 24, 2021

Back in the day…

I was speaking with my friend and former boss of mine recently.  We go all the way, “back in the day” to 1979 – talk about a couple of dinosaurs LOL! 

I was sharing with him my observations of technology sales in 2021 (he, having retired in 2019).  We were comparing notes on how sales teams are managed these days; how sales reps view their careers; and related examples of our Covid-modified, Zoom-intensified, “modern day” sales environment. 

Now I know all things change and the phrase “In my day, we used to (fill in the blank)” has been overused for generations.  Even so, some of the things we accept as acceptable practices in the technology sales profession today certainly cause me pause, Ellen too: 

            All change is not growth, 

as all movement is not forward. 

Ellen Glasgow 

I know it would be absurd that a young technology seller today would accept a draw vs. commission compensation plan.  (Old technology sellers wouldn’t be any more enthralled with that either if we had a choice back in the day.)  Expecting sales reps to stand up on a Zoom call and state what they sold for the week; each and every week; throughout the year is stuff more for a Netflix movie than for technology sales team meetings in 2021. 

Stack ranking and publishing sales reports of actuals-to-quota, week-to-date; month-to-date; and year-to-date performance for every rep, every manager, and every leader all the way up to the top of the company organization chart is as foreign to companies today as sales contests being paid out in cash.  Back in the day I once ran a Susan B. Anthony sales contest with every rep qualifying for a payout in silver dollars based on their weekly percent of quota.  (I wonder how many young sellers today even know who Susan B. Anthony was and have ever seen a silver dollar.) 

Oh well, back in the day we were just as guilty of making our own mistakes, missteps, and mess-ups. 

Wolf's Law of History Lessons 

Those who don't study the past will repeat its errors. Those who do study it will find OTHER ways to err. 

Unknown Sage 

I must admit I do find today’s thinking about acceptable technology sales and sales management processes to be “unbelievable”.  That was a selling technique offered by legendary sales evangelist Tom Hopkins when faced with a situation where you’re asked about something you don’t like or agree with but you don’t want to offer a direct criticism or complaint for fear of offending someone. 

Was Long unbelievable? 

Long's Notes

·         Everything in excess!   To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.  Moderation is for monks.

·         Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.

·         Never try to out-stubborn a cat.

·         Anything free is worth what you pay for it.

·         "I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.) 

Thankfully, I get to witness today’s technology sellers up front.  I get to learn from them too.  I do try to limit my reminiscing during our encounters and I’m patient when I overhear one ask her colleague, “Is it bring your grandfather to work day?” LOL! 

Truthfully, the best part of my day these days is when one of my young protégés compliments me on the sales tools, tactics and techniques I’ve shown them. They think the old gay can still “hunt”. 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment