Friday, June 17, 2022

To Dad…

Happy Father’s Day coming this Sunday!  Aren’t fathers and grandfathers great?  The memory of my father still brings a proud smile to my face (and my heart!).  If you’re lucky enough to have living fathers and grandfathers, give them a hug Sunday. 

We fathers are so proud when our children demonstrate the wisdom and common sense we hope we have instilled in them: 

Kid wisdom: 

When your Dad is mad at you and asks you, “Do I look stupid?”  Don't answer him. 

Michael 

Then there’s that occasional lack of wisdom and common sense, true?  In my case my older son likes snowboarding, aka “shredding”.  I wonder if it’s the slope he’s shredding, or his knees.  My younger son?  Well, he’s a horseman – ‘nuff said:  

The good news is my children are resilient.  Yours are too I bet.  (Passed down from their Dads perhaps?)  When Dads have to be tough with their children from time-to-time, the little ones of all ages know it’s not permanent - kids are smart: 

A flustered father, stressed out from his day at work, was unsuccessfully texting his kids to come in for dinner.  Finally, he walks out on his porch and yells for his kids to come in.  

At that point one youngster turns to his brother and asks, “I can’t remember, which one am I - Jesus Christ or God Dammit?” 

Unknown Sage 

Some Dads have a very entertaining view of the world.  Take Mike Jaeger’s: 

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you.  Tell him the plate you're handing him is very hot and he'll have to touch it to believe it.                 

Dads today take great pride in continuing to provide a home for their families, even as the definition of “home” evolves: 

Home, nowadays, is a place where part of the family waits ‘til the rest of the family brings the car back.  

Earl Wilson 

Because my sons have children in their lives, I get to be the grandfather now!   Being the grandfather has responsibilities, too: 

Sometimes the only difference we can make is passing our wisdom on to someone else who will make the bigger difference.  

Linda B. Gray 

The older I get the more appreciative I am of the love and devotion I received from my father.   He wanted his sons to make a difference.  He also wanted us to be patient with his quirks.  I remember after my Mom died, my Dad ate his dinners at the hospital cafeteria two blocks from his house.  It might have been for the convenience; maybe for the memory of the last place he saw his wife alive. 

He ate dinner there every evening for over twenty years.  It was such an extended period of time that the employees thought Al Pokorn actually worked there.  One summer, he was even invited to their company picnic!  I didn’t mind this innocent charade.  But when he won a TV in the employee raffle, I told him he had to give it back! 

Dads are all a little quirky I suppose.  Today when my children use one of my colloquialisms or demonstrate a family value or tradition that has been passed down from father to son, it brings a proud smile to my face (and my heart)! 

So, here’s to my Dad; and your Dad; and everyone’s Dad.  They have helped us all make a difference – definitely a tradition to be passed down. 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

2 comments:

  1. It's Wendell Berry that I'm reminded of when I read these. You have probably read some of his work already. If not, now that you have all that free time on your hands you can check his writing out. Jealous, -Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! I haven't read Wendell Berry but I will definitely check him out. Thx, GAP

      Delete