Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Happy Father’s Day this coming Sunday!  Fathers and grandfathers are great, don’t you think?  The memory of my father still brings a proud smile to my face… and to my heart!  If you’re lucky enough to have living fathers and grandfathers, give them a big hug Sunday. 

We fathers are so proud of our children.  And we know the value of that love: 

A father carries pictures where his money used to       be.

Unknown Sage 

Dads know how to be supportive as well.  Kara Goldin, successful businesswoman, offers what many of us have experienced ourselves: 

Dad would say, 'you always think that 'no' means 'maybe' and 'maybe' means 'yes'! 

Of course, there are those times when I actually have to say “no”.  The good news is my children and grandchildren are resilient.  Yours are too I bet.  (Perhaps passed down from their grandfathers?)  If we are tough on our children from time-to-time, they understand - kids know: 

A flustered father, stressed out from his day at work, was unsuccessfully texting his kids to come in for dinner.  Finally, he walks out on his porch and yells for his kids to come in. 

At that point one youngster turns to his brother and asks, ‘I can’t remember, which one am I - Jesus Christ or God Dammit?  

Unknown Sage 

Overall, men have our own, unique view of the world.  Take Mike Jaeger’s: 

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you.  Tell him the plate you're handing him is very hot and he'll have to touch it to believe it.

Dads today take pride in continuing to provide a home for their families too, even as the definition of “home” evolves: 

Home, nowadays, is a place where part of the family waits ‘til the rest of the family brings the car back. 

Earl Wilson 

Because my sons have children in their lives, I get to be the grandfather now!   Being the grandfather has responsibilities: 

Sometimes the only difference we can make is passing our wisdom on to someone else who will make the bigger difference. 

Linda B. Gray 

The older I get the more appreciative I am of the love and devotion I received from my father.   He wanted his sons to make a difference.  He also wanted us to be patient with his quirks.  I remember after my Mom died (all too young) my Dad continued eating his dinners at the hospital cafeteria two blocks from his house.  It might have been for the convenience; maybe for the memory of the last place he saw his wife alive. 

He ate dinner there every evening for over twenty years.  Such a long and consistent period of time that the hospital employees all thought Al Pokorn actually worked there.  One summer, he was even invited to their company picnic!  I didn’t mind his innocent charade.  But when he won a TV in the employee raffle, I told him he had to give it back! 

Yes, we are all a little quirky – me too:  

Today when my children use one of my sayings, wear mouse ears, or demonstrate a family tradition that has been passed down from father to son, it brings a proud smile to my face… and my heart! 

So, here’s to my Dad; and your Dad; and everyone’s Dad and their family traditions.  They have helped us all make a difference - a tradition to be passed down. 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment