Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Mission & Vision…

The Board of Directors of a non-profit organization I serve on is updating our “Mission & Vision Statements”.  This is the first time I’ve served on a Board.  So far, it’s been quite the process.  Truthfully, I’m uncomfortable and a bit amused.  Is that common when developing a Mission Statement?  Here are thoughts from Dave Carpenter:

I’m somewhat handicapped with this initiative.  Our effort to reach a consensus let alone a conclusion pushes several of my buttons and I’m trying to be mindful of those buttons. 

Thankfully, our Board has several experienced business professionals.  We have plenty of knowledge, opinions, and time to discuss (and debate) what our go-forward Mission & Vision Statements should be.  I know this is important to making progress.  I’m a willing follower; but there are those buttons. 

Like other organizations, our Board would be considered a “committee”.  You see, I’ve never done well with committees.  I’ve always had more of a charge ahead, “let’s get ‘er done” mindset.  However, part of being an appropriate Board member is to participate in our committee decision making approach. 

It didn’t take much of a self-diagnosis.  I understand the source of my discomfort.  To some, a committee decision-making process can sometimes feel like a decision-avoidance process.  And that’s a button many others have felt: 

A committee is twelve men doing the work of one. 

John F. Kennedy 

I know I have those darn buttons.  Throughout my sales career I’ve always been amazed (and oftentimes frustrated) by committee decision making.  It’s going to be all good though.  Each of us is well-meaning and we are volunteering our time and talents for the benefit of the greater organization.  I suppose I have buttons for Mission & Vision Statement development.  I’m not alone with this, particularly in today’s business environment: 

At the top is the mission statement. 

  And it begat the strategy. 

    And the strategy begat the tactics. 

      And the tactics begat the objectives

        that begat the tasks

          that begat the people in cubicles

who no longer beget children because they're working all weekend trying to finish the !@#$-ing assignments they've been given to serve the all-powerful mission statement.                            

Rick Levine 

Reminds me of this “vision” from Elon Musk to “help” his employees work towards the X Mission

Much has been said and much has been written about the importance of understanding the Mission & Vision of the company, community, or committee we’re investing our time in these days.  I’m OK with being exposed to this process and learning new skills.  I’m participating to the best of my (limited) ability.  I’m following the lead of my more capable Board members. 

Once we’re through the mission, vision, strategy process, I’ll rev things back up.  I’ll get enthusiastic about the tactical implementation of whatever our outcome is. 

And that includes the “strategy” piece.  Extended discussions about strategy is another one of those darn buttons.  I’m all about execution.   My personal mission, vision, and strategy statements is, “Let’s go sell somebody something - today!”  

A friend and client of mine offered this on LinkedIn: 

1. Comfort is the enemy of progress and achievement.

2. Vision without execution is hallucination. 

3. Prescription without proper diagnosis is malpractice. 

              Michael Meehan 

The good news is I’m out of my comfort zone so maybe I’m making progress.  As to the rest of my committee’s mission, vision, strategy, debate and discussion… Well Dave Carpenter, I’m just trying to make it to the weekend. 

                                                            GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment