Thursday, February 29, 2024

Looking forward

I finished Mark Manson’s book recently.  I normally credit author and book title in my little ditties but the profanity in Mark’s book title is too vulgar even for me.  Suffice it to say it’s a New York Times #1 Best Seller and I’m sure you’ll discover what I mean if you Google him. 

I disliked Mark’s writing style and I thought many of his stories were self-serving and greatly exaggerated.  Of course, I’m speaking as a self-professed storyteller who is known to exaggerate, too.  I also know not all of my readers appreciate my writing style.  Nonetheless, Mark reminded me how far people are taking extreme positions today to stand above the average.  For instance, excessive profanity has become all too commonplace - in Mark’s book; TV; social media; bumper stickers; T-shirts… 

I know Mark won’t give a (expletive) about my opinion.  I don’t think he’s trying to make me or his readers happy.  I understand.  When I write, I’m sharing my opinions primarily for my own, self-serving purposes.  Writing is my outlet.  Hopefully, there’s some benefit for my readers but that’s not what motivates me.  Maybe Mark and I are actually following a similar opinion offered by Nick Saban (then recently retired, legendary and provocative college football coach from the University of Alabama): 

Looking back - Mark’s book certainly wasn’t like eating ice cream. Nevertheless, I’ve always believed it worthy to finish what I start and I’m always glad when I do.  Reading a book is no different.  I won’t put a book down just because it offers differing opinions (even if distastefully expressed).  Opinions are just opinions and opposing opinions can be learning opportunities.  Being a natural “cynacist”, my inner cynicism was served towards the end of his book when he wrote, “Now that I’m in my thirties, I can finally recognize…”  

Opinions on how to live our life by a thirty-something???  It provoked me to think; “Hey Buddy, check back with me forty years from now and see how your “finally recognize” worked out!”  But that’s being cynical. 

I know opinions are just that.  Everyone has them.  I’m no different than those younger than me.  I was highly opinionated and quite brash forty years ago. (Still am HaHa!): 

“What's your opinion of my idea?” the brash young man asked his boss.  “It isn't worth anything”, said the boss.  “I know”, conceded the young egotist, “but give it to me anyway.” 

Unknown Sage 

But, there’s limited value in looking back.  I’m glad Mark finally got around to looking forward and sharing the things he “recognized” after a few chapters focused on bashing everyone’s flaws.  I know many folks today are trying to live and think the way he wrote about in his book.  I don’t intend to continue to look back at what was written and how it was written.  I’ve accepted those opinions he shared that align with my own; ignored the rest;  and now I’m looking forward.  

Speaking of looking forward, another 30 something comes to mind.  Jelly Roll is the 2023 Country Music Association award-winning Male Vocalist of the Year.  Turns out, he was also an addict and a distributor of illegal drugs in his thirties.  Even so, he offered an opinion we might all benefit from: 

The windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror for a reason because what’s in front of you is so much more important than what’s behind you. 

Thanks Jelly!  Here’s to forward. 

                                                            GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment