Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A Bear and a Beer…


Springtime is here; warmer weather; reminds us summer is on its way.  Summer makes me think of a cold beer on a hot day; which makes me think of my Dad.  He loved a cold beer on hot days. 

When I think about my Dad I can’t help but remember his perspective about how much things cost.  He’d always pine, “Oh, the cost of gas is outlandish!”  Or he would complain about the price of bananas; milk; bread; you name it.

I bet you’ve heard these complaints from the older generation.  They are “Depression Era Babies”; people who grew up in very different times than ours.  Now, I don’t like over spending any more than the next guy, but I know I am truly blessed.   Of course, I get that annual shock about this time of year when income taxes are filed.  Reminds me of the saying from our favorite, Unknown Sage,

When I first started working I used to dream of the day when I might be earning the salary I'm starving on now.

When my 401-k statement arrives?  Well, my Dad’s complaints on how far a dollar can’t go any more come back to mind.  I think of the,

Market Terminology for Dummies:

Bull Market - A random market movement causing the investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.

Momentum Investing - The fine art of buying high and selling low.

Standard & Poor - Your investment strategy in a nutshell.

Mailbits.com
         
So it’s obvious that I’m going to be working for “a while”.  Let’s just say that I’m not quite to the point of being a Wal-Mart Greeter, but I am paying closer attention to where their employment application kiosks are located.  I’m trying not to let this get me down, though - I love my work, and I’m blessed with my income. 

I’d like to keep working as long as I’m physically (and mentally) able.  If you saw my golf game you’d tell me not to retire yet either.  However, like my Dad I confess that I’m starting to pay closer attention to how much things cost.  Norman Augustine, the former head of Martin Marietta Corporation did also.  He shared this story:

A bear who, displaying a $5 bill, had entered a bar and ordered a beer and; the owner of the bar directed the bartender to give the bear the beer, saying that since the bear didn't look very smart to only give it 25 cents in change.  Having done as he had been instructed, and having watched incredulously as the bear placidly sipped the beer, the bartender finally could no longer contain himself and sought to engage the bear in conversation.  You know, he said to the bear, we don't get many bears in this bar.  To which the bear is said to have replied, at $4.75 a beer, it's no wonder.

Funny thing about money; no matter how much we make, it’s not quite enough to take our minds off the price of things.  How we deal with the delta between our take home pay and our household budget has a lot to do with our daily outlook, yes?

“Houseless”, adj. 

Having paid all taxes on household goods.

Ambrose Bierce 

So whether it was my Dad’s watchful eye on prices; filing income taxes each year; or that bear placidly sipping his beer; all serve to remind me that my glass is truly half-full.

GAP

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment