Thursday, June 4, 2020

G.O.A.T.s…


Like other sports fanatics, I can’t wait for the safe resumption of games.  Until actual competition returns media sports programming is trying to fill the void.  Yuck!

Have you noticed when broadcast sports can’t report on live events they gravitate to the “greatest of all time” debate?  Personally, I find these arguments contrived. 

In my opinion, opinions about greatness in sports (or any other field for that matter) don’t matter. What matters are results.  Today’s talking heads pontificate about why this person or that is the GOAT while making excuses why their particular GOAT doesn’t hold actual, individual records; or the most team championships; or blah, blah, blah.  Their GOAT just passes their “eye test.”

I know all about the eye test.  I played basketball at a small college a long, long time ago.  My freshman year coach was also an assistant varsity football coach:

On the first day of practice I was warming up under the watchful eye of Coach Bill Foss.  He noticed I had a small, jingle-bell attached to my shoelace.  My teammates and I enjoyed this unusual idea - back in high school!  Bells on shoes in college?  Not a good eye test.  Coach Foss pulled out a linebacker, blocking pad from his football gear; his eye test for me.

To his surprise, I reached down into my sock and pulled out a mouthpiece.  He was quite familiar with mouthpieces on the football field; he wasn’t as accustomed to anyone using one on his basketball teams back in the day.  I competed in his rebounding drill and in real life games, too.  Results over jingle-bells? Whoda thought!

Now I’m no GOAT.  Every record I set in college has been broken.  My lack of an eye test probably gave me an advantage. 

In my best year I played low post.  At 6’3” and 205 pounds, I was the smallest center in every game.  But I had a record-setting year.  Of course, I had the mouthpiece LoL!  Even so, my teammate Kjeld Sorensen was the toughest competitor on the team that year – and on any team, any year I ever played.  Even without a mouthpiece.

The problem with eye test debates is physical appearances don’t tell the full story.  Annuls of greatness are packed with competitors who didn’t look the part.  The mental and emotional sides to competition are often the difference makers.

Babe Ruth was pudgy; Walter Payton was undersized; no one saw Jesse Owens on cable TV; Bob Beamon’s 1968 Olympic record still stands today – do you even know who Bob Beamon is?

Show me the eye test player who scored 100 points in a single game or grabbed 55 rebounds in another and then I’ll accept that player as the NBA GOAT vs. Wilt Chamberlain.  Show me the player who won 18 major championships using a persimmon wood driver; with a steel shaft; a golf ball made with 30 year old technology; and never had a hint of steroid use; and then I’ll accept that player as the PGA GOAT vs. Jack Nicklaus. 

They even argue about GOATs in horse racing.  This coming Tuesday marks the 47th year of a never-seen-before and never-seen-since race won by Secretariat.  The Triple Crown winner won the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths! (Link)  I call THAT results!

Yes, I’m looking forward to the resumption of actual competition in sports.  Others will continue to debate their GOATs.  For me, I’m looking past their eye tests.   

GAP

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment