Thursday, November 5, 2020

I wish…

I am blessed to have my children and grandchildren in my life.  Both of my sons and two of my three grandchildren live nearby.  Someday they may all venture out on their own.  But for now, I get to see them throughout each week.  I know about their school; their jobs; their friends. 

Like other grandfathers I try to be supportive; I try to make myself available to offer them guidance; transfer a little knowledge; maybe a piece of wisdom or two.  I’m not sure how interested they are in what I have to share.  I think that is the case throughout the generations.  Who was it that said: 

            Hire a teenager while they still know everything 

When I was growing up, I never knew either of my grandfathers.  I never even met them.  I did know my wife's maternal grandfather.  However, I never invested the time to engage in a deep, adult conversation with him.  He was a successful entrepreneur.  When he sold his jewelry company, he had made enough and saved enough to live comfortably for almost 40 years.  He also witnessed life during the Great Depression among other world, national, and everyday events, but I never asked him to share his knowledge. 

My Father-in-Law served in the Navy during World War II; he was stationed in the south pacific theatre.  But I never persuaded him to tell me about his experiences; I never talked with him about "a day in the life" when every day in his life was at risk back then. 

Even my own father lived during historic times; he was in the Army Air Corps, which preceded today’s Air Force; the "Baby Boom" era; the 1960s Civil Rights movement; the Vietnam War... but I never had an extended conversation with him about what he learned; what he knew; what I should know. 

Maybe my life was too focused on me, on my own opinions, on my own needs. Sounds similar to the criticisms we place on today’s Millennial Generation doesn't it?  Maybe every generation is critical of the previous: 

"What's your opinion of my idea?” the brash young man asked his boss.  “It isn't worth anything”, said the boss.  “I know”, conceded the young egotist, “but give it to me anyway.” 

Unknown Sage 

Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr, a nineteenth century, French writer (that’s a few generations ago!) is credited with saying: 

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Today, I try to be that father; that grandfather; even a mentor at my company and in my profession.  Very few are interested in what I have learned.  In my profession (if not in my family), I've always tried to credit others who taught me.  I mean, I graduated in the bottom half of my college class, so you know I didn’t succeed without a lot of help from others. 

I wish I had talked with my fathers and grandfathers.  I wish I had learned more from the generations that preceded mine.  I wish I could pass along more knowledge; more wisdom; more of the life lessons I have learned to the generations that are following mine. 

I wish they were more interested in learning: 

To know that you do not know is the best 

Lao-Tsu 

The older I get, and the more knowledgeable and accomplished I become in my field, the more I realize how smart my elders actually were. 

I wish I could tell them that. 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment