Thursday, December 2, 2021

Daily Improvements…

Here’s to today, and every day – good, great, or better.  Ok, some days are not great.  But that’s just some days.  We can and do overcome those days: 

Forever trust in who we are; and nothing else matters. 

                        Metallica 

Words we can live by – from a heavy metal band of all sources!  Of course, I think they are my age.  Is gray haired, heavy metal still relevant? 

I find myself doing a lot of self-reflection during this time of year.  I like to recap my accomplishments; begin thinking about next year’s Annual Achievement Plan; start income tax preparations (yuck!).  Like a lot of employees, I just went through annual benefits enrollment at my company; and I’m feeling the warmth from my family and friends as we prepare to celebrate the year-end holidays.  

Nonetheless, I always feel a bit uneasy.  An Unknown Sage once said, 

People can be divided into three groups:

1. Those who make things happen,

2. Those who watch things happen, and

3. Those who wonder what's happening. 

I do feel a bit clueless from time to time. (Lord knows my wife and children typically think of me as being stuck in the 3rd group.)  You should be there to see the reactions of my daughter-in-law as she gets to know me.  The phrase “acquired taste” comes to mind.  However, a lot of my persona is just my shtick.  Don’t tell her.  

I really do try to focus on staying present in the first group; making things happen; finding success.  I know it’s not easy for many of us.  Like many of you, I’ve always had to work for a living – I mean the blue collar type of work – I mean taking the long way around the barn – I mean overcoming setbacks.  Now don’t get me wrong; I’m very much a white collar, sales professional.  It’s just that to meet my goals usually takes me longer than my friends and colleagues who are blessed with great talent.  They have figured out how to work smart, not just hard.  Me?  Well, maybe I dip into that 3rd group more frequently than I’d like to admit. 

No complaints though.  Success is defined in many ways and is a very personal matter.  When you have great self-confidence you are successful, yes?  That’s why one of my favorite hobbies is writing.  I like the way it helps me channel random, positive thoughts and the way positive reinforcement helps me maximize my productivity.  I’ve always believed no matter how I feel just showing up puts me on the path towards success.  

I know not every day is a stellar day.  According to Ashleigh Brilliant (and I agree with her): 

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once  

Nonetheless, I’m doing the best I can; giving what I’ve got; facing each day – one day at a time.   That’s how I’ve tried to approach my career pursuits and my personal goals.  When I pause at this time of year to reflect for a moment on what I’ve been able to accomplish, it’s a nice boost to my self-confidence (even if my boss and my family still think I’m a little weird!). 

So here’s to today – good, great, or better:                        

Success never rests.  On your worst days, be good.  And on your best days, be great.  And on every other day, get better. 

                             Carmen Mariano 

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

                                                                        GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment