Thursday, August 4, 2022

"That" goal…

Since retiring five months ago, I find myself making progress towards a goal I haven't been consciously trying to reach.  I can't explain it, but I'm not complaining.  I'm within 13 pounds of my target weight; over 20 pounds closer than I was in February. 

Several years ago my doctor suggested it would be better if "there was a little less of Gary".  My BMI was in the overweight category, bordering on obese.  I tried all the usual dieting approaches to no avail. 

I remember thinking back then that I will have to “bite the bullet” (which is better than biting the donut!), and actually change what I ate.  There.  I said it.  I would have to eat healthier foods and stick to it.  Discipline – that’s what it would take: 

"DISCIPLINE”:  The ability to do what you don’t want to do to become the person you want to become. 

Unknown Sage

I did get down to 212 pounds once.  It was in 2011.  I was following a "crash, 13 week diet" coupled with the P90X workout all coordinated through a chiropractor, Dr. Joe.  After thirteen weeks, I was “hoping” I would continue down to 200 pounds (my collegiate playing weight).  Well, “hoping” is not the same as setting a goal and sticking to a disciplined action plan to achieve it. 

After hitting 235 pounds, I knew I was going to need a little help.  But where do we turn when we’re seeking the motivation and support to achieve success?  Maybe Winston Churchill? 

Success is the ability to move from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. 

Great advice; I am definitely enthusiastic.  But the "British Bulldog" was also known to have been a bit of a kook. 

Like the story told of a Woman Member of Parliament who, after an extensive tirade at a social function, scornfully told the Prime Minister, “Mr. Churchill, you are drunk”, to which Churchill replied, “And you Madame, are ugly.  But I shall be sober tomorrow. 

Through all those tomorrows, I have been overweight.  Starting on a plan to lose weight is admirable.  Thinking about it; talking about it; seeking support from others is one thing.  I’ve been enthusiastically thinking about getting back to 200 pounds for years; decades actually.  However finishing what we start is something else. 

Where else could I turn?  Well, our Unknown Sage hinted my wife might help: 

My wife says I should cut down on meat, and eat more fruits and vegetables.  But what does a cow eat?  Corn.  And what’s corn? Vegetable.  So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. 

See what I'm up against?  Myself!  Although my wife has been a terrific influence my entire life, she can't lose the weight for me.  So now what?  Where can I find the peace of mind that I'm on the right track?  Well, that same Unknown Sage suggested therapy: 

My therapist told me a way to achieve peace was to finish things I started.  Today, I finished 2 bags of potato chips, a lemon pie, a fifth of Jack Daniels, and a small box of chocolate candy.  I feel better already! 

Managing our weight - easy to think about; easier to talk about; but success?  That will take an ongoing, daily commitment.  I'm eating healthier in retirement; trying to achieve a "little less of Gary".  Lord, help us all whose doctors recommend we address "that" goal. 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment