Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Having Fun?

I can’t tell.  I’m a bit too far removed.  Let me ask you.  Are most people having fun in their jobs today?  I wonder. 

Yes, yes, “It all depends” as my Father-In-Law used to say.  I have been in jobs where I was unhappy and I wasn’t alone: 

Oh, you hate your job?  Why didn't you say so?  There's a support group for that.  It's called everybody, and they meet at the bar. 

Drew Carey 

Nonetheless during the vast majority of my career I have had a lot of fun.  I believe fun is a critical component for success.  When invited to review a client’s sales and business processes, I always ask their managers and leaders, “How fun are you to work for?” 

That Mary is the Under-Vice President of Expectation Deflations for the western semi-region tells you nothing.  That Mary is wicked smart, totally frank, and a trip to work with tells you everything. 

Rick Levine 

I’ve been fortunate to work for many managers and clients who were “… a trip to work with…”  I can remember to this day the first phone call I made to Doug Johnston, Owner of DataPro Solutions in Spokane, Washington and a company my company was interested in acquiring.  “He’s not available.” I was informed.  “He’s outside barbequing lunch for the company.”  I immediately thought, “How fun is THAT!” 

If you’re not fun and you have direct reports, this advice comes from the movie Stripes and the character Sargent Hulka who said, “Lighten up Francis.”

My career as a sales professional has been so much fun I’m continuing it via independent advisory engagements.  When I interact with business people I always come away learning something.  I suppose in some cases I’m actually re-learning what I used to know – used to do – but somehow wandered away from.  For me, these interactions are fun! 

Today, I worry about this perspective from the book Get Back In The Box©: 

Although we claim we want more leisure time, we are much more likely to find an opportunity for genuinely fulfilling engagement and learning at work.  Unfortunately, however, most work environments are not set up to maximize these experiences, and our attitude towards work keeps us from experiencing or remembering nearly any of it as fun.  The overall message we get from our workplaces is to produce more, complain less, and ignore stress. 

Douglas Rushkoff 

I sure hope we aren’t devolving into “… produce more, complain less, and ignore stress.”  

Many are focused on their career; receiving recognition; getting a pay increase; earning a promotion; ignoring stress!  Balancing those goals with maintaining meaningful relationships; enjoying our family; engaging in our favorite recreations can be a challenge.  How do you do it?  (And how are you doing at doing it?) 

I like this idea that Jerald M. Jellison offered in his book Managing the Dynamics of Change ©: 

Take a few minutes right now to make a list of what reinvigorate you. Yes, actually write it down because the miracle of activation comes from doing, not just thinking.  Now look at your monthly schedule. How much time have you been setting aside for these uplifting activities?  ... Do something soon - now. 

Please consider my perspective; I’ve been a career sales professional for more than 4 decades and it has been a blast!  If your career aspirations are more stressful than enjoyable you might just have to change professions.  Life’s too short. 

                                                            GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment