Wednesday, March 20, 2024

March Madness and pretending

March Madness – a time for greatness on the college basketball court!  One of my favorite times of the year.  Where does greatness originate from anyway?  Can we leverage lessons learned from March Madness for our own success?  To take a closer look I always like to start at the beginning. 

How many people do you know who have achieved greatness and didn’t actually believe they were capable of being great?  I’m not talking about their outward-facing image (ranging from quiet modesty to over-the-top arrogance).  I’m talking about how they think of themselves inwardly.  Those that don’t have any self-doubt, reservations, or fear. 

Can we achieve greatness without believing - or at least pretending to believe – that we can and should be great?  Pretending to believe – there’s an idea.  Take this James S. Hewett basketball story: 

Former NBA center and coach Johnny Kerr said his biggest test as a coach came when he coached the then-expansion team the Chicago Bulls and his biggest player was 6'8" Erwin Mueller.

We had lost seven in a row and I decided to give a psychological pep talk before a game with the Celtics, Kerr said.  I told Bob Boozer to go out and pretend he was the best scorer in basketball.  I told Jerry Sloan to pretend he was the best defensive guard.  I told Guy Rodgers to pretend he could run an offense better than any other guard, and I told Erwin Mueller to pretend he was the best rebounding, shot-blocking, scoring center in the game.  We lost the game by 17. 

I was pacing around the locker room afterward trying to figure out what to say when Mueller walked up, put his arm around me, and said, “Don't worry about it Coach.  Just pretend we won."

James S. Hewett           

Jerry Sloan, one of the “Original Bulls”.  He may not have been “the best defensive guard” in the NBA.  But he ultimately achieved Hall of Fame greatness even if it took a career to do so. 

Jerry’s fame comes mostly from his coaching success with the Utah Jazz.  Consistency; team-play; fundamentals; toughness; his teams had these admirable qualities.  Oh, he had a few great players too, but they never had the best talent in the league.  Still he led his players to believe they could be great. 

Coaching in the sports world and leading in the business world have many parallels.  What makes great coaches and great business leaders?  Well, I may not be able to articulate a specific list of skills, characteristics, and attributes, but I know a great coach and a great-coached team when I see one.  And whether they are truly great, or just pretending to believe they are truly great, the leader makes a big difference on the ultimate outcome. 

Bum Phillips had coaching success with the then Houston Oilers of the NFL, even though his teams were never thought of as having the best talent in the league.  I have cited this ultimate tribute to Bum’s coaching greatness often: 

He can take his and beat yours; and then he can take yours and beat his.                            

Unknown Sage 

Today, the March Madness teams are hearing their coaches tell them to believe; that they have the magic; that theirs can beat yours in this year’s tournament.  I’m going to believe my 2024 will be a great year, too!  Even if I have to pretend to help me get started.  How about you? 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment