Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Mentor anyone?

Do you think top producers should have a mentor?  After all, they’re already “killin’ it”.  They’re probably being asked by their manager to share their expertise; teach the others how to do it; set the pace; true?  If everything is going so well, why would a rain maker of all people need a mentor? 

Well, even Jack Nicklaus, arguably the greatest golfer of all time, didn’t want to be left alone.  The same applies to Tiger Woods and literally every other professional on tour.  If it’s good for them, shouldn’t it be good for us?

As a top sales rep, I used to take my stress, worry, and insecurity out on my wife (and my dog).  They were both happy when I finally connected with a mentor (I actually had two).  Having been on “both sides of the fence”, I’ve developed these opinions about top performers, especially in sales: 

·         We don’t want to be “trained”

·         We don’t want to be “managed”

·         Yet, we don’t want to be left alone 

Perhaps because I was a “hunter” I’m frequently approached by other hunters.  Our discussion usually begins with the question, “What would Gary do?”  I don’t know, maybe they think I’m an “expert”.  Lawrence Peter and I have our doubts: 

Make three correct guesses consecutively, and you will establish a reputation as an expert. 

Recently, a friend, top producer, and mentee shared with others that I was definitely an expert.  I chuckled: 

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. 

Niels Bohn 

That’s me alright, “…made all the mistakes which can be made…”.  Nonetheless, I’ve enjoyed working with successful quota carriers over the years. No matter their age, I can relate. Quota (and mistakes) spans generations. 

This person was the third, #1 sales rep from his respective company that I met with recently.  They were all unsettled.  I don’t know why the sales profession creates so much discontent among high performers.  In other professions, success and contentment seems more common.  In his book, Drive © Harry F. Harlow wrote: 

The performance of the task provided intrinsic reward…  The joy of the task was its own reward. 

Top sales people don’t seem to easily find this joy.  The best-of-the-best are frequently labeled with a reputation that can become burdensome - extroverted, natural born, driven, lone wolf.  

Why would such a hunter seek a mentor?  In my experience, it’s that unsettled feeling.  They have a new manager; their territory was cut; their comp plan was changed; their success is no longer fulfilling; they fear their ability to continue it; they’re being lured by a higher commission plan; they feel if they don’t change jobs (or worse, take a promotion to management) it will somehow be held against them; their family relationships are strained.  

I can remember meeting with the #1 sales rep at Salesforce.com a month after he had received his first, seven figure, W-2!  He asked, “Gary, is that all there is?”  Unsettled. 

Are you a discontented, top performer?  

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens most of us.  We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?”

Nelson Mandela 

If you’re feeling unsettled it’s OK; you’re not alone.  You’re likely blessed with power, “beyond measure”!  Just ask your mentor.  

                                                            GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment