Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Flight #2021…

People are starting to travel again.  I hope it’s not too soon, but I understand the need for returning to normalcy.   I wonder if we are ready to alter our definition of “normalcy”? 

I saw this social media post a while back.  Maybe it will help us “re-set” what normalcy will be in 2021: 

Hello, Welcome to Flight #2021 We are prepared to take off into the New Year: 

Ø  Please make sure your ATTITUDE and BLESSINGS are SECURED    and LOCKED in an upright position.

Ø  ALL SELF-DESTRUCTIVE devices should be TURNED OFF at this time.

Ø  All NEGATIVITY, HURT, and DISCOURAGEMENT should be put    away.

Ø  Should we LOSE ALTITUDE under pressure during the flight, reach up and pull down a PRAYER.

Ø  PRAYERS will automatically be ACTIVATED by FAITH. Once your faith is activated, you can ASSIST other passengers.

Ø  There will be NO BAGGAGE allowed on this flight.

Ø  The Captain (GOD) has cleared us for takeoff.

Ø  Destination PEACE, GRACE, MERCY, SALVATION, and HEAVEN! 

I’d call that good coaching to get some altitude in our attitude.  Now is a good time to rise above the angst, anger, animosity, and antagonism permeating our daily lives.  

How’s your attitude holding up?  Are today’s calamities too much to handle?  I hope not.  Just when things seem to be the darkest I remind myself of the advice from our favorite, Unknown Sage: 

If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs… you will be a head taller than everyone. 

Seriously though, today’s challenges require a different level of personal commitment to address them don’t you think?  Every time a complaint or conflict arises, we don’t have to engage, do we?  We’ve witnessed complaints and conflicts before, like this story from the travel industry: 

            A famous Chairman of the Board of a national airline, uses self-deprecating humor, such as the story he told about a woman who wrote a letter complaining about his airline.  She didn't like anything: not the peanuts, not the color of the plane.  She didn’t even like the uniforms of the stewards.  She was just full of gripes.

The marketing division took it over, spent a week writing a 22-page letter trying to reason with her, and showed it to the Chairman before he signed it.  He read it, and tossed it into the wastebasket.  He asked for a piece of stationery and wrote; “Dear Madam, We're going to miss you.  

Sincerely,

Herb."   

Herb Kelleher 

I’m working to increase the altitude of my attitude at work.  I think I’m making progress because I had a colleague call me the other day and ask, “How do you do it?...”  He went on to say he has noticed how I’m staying calm and professionally appropriate in the face of meetings that focus on some nonsensical, internal procedure that frustrates others. 

I told him I get just as frustrated but rather than engaging in the fracas, I engage my mute button!  I don’t think adding my opinion would make things better – probably just the opposite.  And thankfully I have a patient boss. 

Today’s non-stop negative hype reminds me of Lawrence J. Peter’s perspective: 

What this country needs is more free speech worth listening to.                                  

In 2021 I’m trying to avoid responding; retorting; or reacting to every conversation that I find irritating.  I’m trying to fly above it all – where calm air and bright sunshine warms my day.  How about you?                                   

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment