Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Interesting…

I suppose you would categorize me as a “knowledge worker”: 

A knowledge worker is someone whose job entails having really interesting conversations at work. 

     Rick Levine 

Interesting is an interesting choice of words. 

I had an interesting conversation with a colleague about a few of our young sellers in a role play situation.  I was observing them but I didn’t actually see how they prepared or were coached.  I just assumed their inexperience would be glaringly obvious. 

Interestingly, each of them stepped up and performed in the role play without hesitation… and … interestingly… THEY WERE AWESOME!  They executed better than I could have with all my decades of experience - and I told them so.  I explained that even without experience, their preparation, articulation, and willingness to be coached shined! 

Interestingly, we often observe the difference between knowledge and someone trying to B.S. their way, true?  At work I’m reminded of Grabel frequently: 

Grabel's Law: 

Two is not equal to three - not even for very large values of two. 

Russell Kay 

When I was a young and inexperienced salesman, I used to B.S. my way through.  You know, the old, “fake it until you make it” approach?  That was until I felt the pain of  “show me” and “prove it”.   Inflicted not by my managers or peers, though.  I was punished by impatient and unforgiving clients and prospects who easily recognized B.S. when they saw it. 

Interestingly today, just when I start believing that as a “senior” I now know it all.  Just when I think of our young sellers who, from a quota standpoint remind me of the gladiator phrase, “those who are about to die”.  Just when my B.S. meter starts to go off, I get to enjoy being surprised. 

Yes, knowledge workers are those who have interesting conversations at work.  Truth be told, most of my conversations at work are with a very small, select set of colleagues.  Although at this stage of my career my job is intellectually interesting, I feel I have to be careful sharing my opinions because of my sensitive B.S. meter.

I suspect my younger, less experienced colleagues have B.S. meters also.  One of those said young colleagues who performed so impressively in that role play actually left the company shortly thereafter.  I was disappointed and a bit surprised. 

My company proclaims the value of our culture in emails and texts almost daily.  Career ascension and diversity is a constant theme offered by leaders to followers.  But now my B.S. meter has me wondering: 

Culture was not something you do by writing memos.  You've got to appeal to people's emotions.  They've got to buy in with their hearts and their bellies, not just their minds. 

Richard C. Huseman 

Maybe it’s more important to knowledge workers seeking to move up in the company than I understand.  In her book, Love 'Em or Lose 'Em © Beverly Kaye offers this interesting perspective: 

Ponder this:  Is "up" the only career path they see?  And is "up" in short supply? 

“Up” is in short supply at my company.  I suspect that’s true at many companies.  Not everyone can be promoted to management or leadership positions.  And yes, that means younger, highly capable people often choose the old “grass is greener…” option.  Been there; done that; myself. 

Interestingly, knowing whether those pastures are actually greener - or browner - isn’t discovered until after one moves.  Been there; done that; too. 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment