Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Multiplier or diminisher?

That was the essence of a Franklin Covey webinar I attended.  The webinar featured Liz Wiseman, author of the business book Multipliers©.  I thought the discussion was fascinating.  You can find further information on Liz’ website (https://thewisemangroup.com/

Because Liz wrote a book, speaks professionally, and consults, she offered several examples of what managers do to multiply the intelligence, enthusiasm, and contribution of the people that report to them.  She also offered several examples of how managers can diminish said team contributions. 

As a collector of thought leadership from smart successful people like Liz, I would summarize my point of view on her presentation this way.  If you're a frontline manager or an "up line" leader, how fun are you to work for?  

I'm not asking if you're good at your role; I'm not asking if your team is exceeding expectations; I'm not even asking how meteoric your rise up your corporate ladder has been.  I’m simply asking if you are like Mary? 

That Mary is the Under-Vice President of Expectation Deflations for the western semi-region tells you nothing.  That Mary is wicked smart, totally frank, and a trip to work with tells you everything. 

Rick Levine 

Now I’m not an authority on what is and is not business fun.  I feel I know it when I see it because business fun is subjective.  I suppose business fun is generationally defined as well; perhaps it even varies by race, religion, gender, and other workplace diversity factors.  

Can you tell if your team is having "fun"? And if they (or you) are not having fun, do you think there is enough compensation in their (or your) compensation plan to keep them (or you) fully engaged?  To even retain them (or you) at their (or your) company in their (or your) current role? 

In my sales profession I have often professed that I'm in the profession to have some fun and make some money... in that order.  In my opinion companies can't pay top producers enough to expect them to stay in a job that sucks. 

What about you?  Do you just work for the money?  Or do you need... do you expect... do you demand to have some fun at work? 

If you demand to have some fun for all of the hours; effort; time away from family and friends you expend... how skilled is your manager at promoting a work environment that includes business fun?  I get it... for managers and leaders that’s a big ask – especially with today’s work-from-home realities.  (Actually, someone told me we don’t “work from home”; we now “live at work”.  But I digress LOL!) 

Yes, yes, we need to hit our number; exceed our goals; contribute to our company's success.  I know managers and leaders can be conscientious in sending emails and texts to their top performers.  MVPs and contest winners are continuously announced at our Zoom meetings.  But for the larger team, is that fun? 

Does your boss send you Starbucks gift cards with a handwritten Thank You note?  Does a Door Dash delivered lunch occasionally show up before your team meetings?  Does your boss simply say, “Take the rest of the day off with pay”?  Do you find such tokens of appreciation fun? 

I don't know what would be fun for other people at work.  But then again, other people don’t work for me.  What’s more important is whether their managers care about promoting business fun, true? 

GAP 

When life gets tough we could get a helmet… or… we could leverage the peace and share the power of a positive perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment